Back to training schedule
Level 2 Healthcare Science Apprenticeship
This apprenticeship has been designed to be taken by anyone wanting to work as a Healthcare Science Assistant within a Clinical Engineering Department. Apprentices working in a Clinical Engineering department will learn foundation techniques to carry out low-risk, routine, technical and scientific procedures. The Level 2 Healthcare Science Apprenticeship will last a minimum of 12 months and will provide an excellent insight into aspects of healthcare science.
The Apprenticeship provides opportunities for those already working within the Clinical Engineering (or Medical Engineering) sector to gain formal qualifications for roles they currently hold, enhancing existing skills and knowledge in Healthcare Science and developing new technical and professional skills. The Level 2 Healthcare Science Apprenticeship is the perfect start to a career in Clinical Engineering.
What is included in the Level 2 Healthcare Science Diploma?
- Demonstrate how to maintain the highest standards of person centred care, treating every person with compassion, dignity and respect
- Demonstrate how to communicate basic information effectively verbally and in writing to patients, carers and colleagues
- Work effectively as part of the Healthcare Science (HCS) Team
Personal and Professional
- Reflect on your practice; and keep your knowledge and skills up-to-date
- Respond constructively to the outcome of appraisal, feedback and performance review
Health, Safety and Security
- Demonstrate how to work safely in the HCS work place following safety, and risk management guidelines, taking appropriate action in response to incidents or emergencies
- Show how to move/position individuals, equipment etc. safely
- Apply a range of techniques for infection prevention and control
- Demonstrate how to follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to your HCS practice
Technical Scientific Services
- Provide general non-technical/technical information, advice and guidance to users of HCS services
- Demonstrate how to follow specified HCS protocols and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Protect patient/carers confidentiality when required
Regular, on-programme assessment in the workplace of the apprentice’s development performance and competency to ensure full and sufficient evidence towards apprentice readiness to undertake the End Point Assessment.
- Achievement of Level 1 English and Level 1 Mathematics qualifications and test taken for Level 2 English and Mathematics prior to taking the end point assessment (not required to pass at Level 2);
- Achievement of the Level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Science;
- Satisfactory evidence, usually recorded in a portfolio, demonstrating that the apprentice has achieved the skills, knowledge and behaviours set out in the Standard;
- Some evidence that the apprentice has developed an insight into their personal and professional development
End Point Assessment
- Element 1 - Vocational Competence Observation
- Element 2 - Professional Practice Test
- Element 3 - Professional discussion informed by the evidence presented
Click to view the Apprenticeship booking information
The Level 2 Healthcare Science Diploma is cited in the
Healthcare Science Assistant Standard as the main qualification in the Healthcare Science Associate Apprenticeship.
Click here to learn more about the Apprenticeship Levy
Further information on this qualifications assessment can be found by clicking here
Click here to view our Frequently Asked Questions