BTEC Healthcare Science Apprenticeship Level 2 | Decontamination & Sterilisation
This apprenticeship has been designed to be taken by anyone wanting to work as a Healthcare Science Assistant within a Decontamination and Sterilisation Department. Apprentices working in a Decontamination and Sterilisation department will learn foundation techniques to carry out low-risk, routine, technical and scientific procedures. The Level 2 Healthcare Science Apprenticeship will last a minimum of 12 months and will provide an excellent insight into aspects of healthcare science.
The Apprenticeship provides opportunities for those already working within the Clinical Engineering (or Medical Engineering) sector to gain formal qualifications for roles they currently hold, enhancing existing skills and knowledge in Healthcare Science and developing new technical and professional skills. The Level 2 Healthcare Science Apprenticeship is the perfect start to a career in Clinical Engineering.
What is included in the Level 2 Healthcare Science Diploma?
- Demonstrate how to maintain the highest standards of person centred care, treating every person with compassion, dignity and respect
- Demonstrate how to communicate basic information effectively verbally and in writing to patients, carers and colleagues
- Work effectively as part of the Healthcare Science (HCS) Team
Personal and Professional
- Reflect on your practice; and keep your knowledge and skills up-to-date
- Respond constructively to the outcome of appraisal, feedback and performance review
Health, Safety and Security
- Demonstrate how to work safely in the HCS work place following safety, and risk management guidelines, taking appropriate action in response to incidents or emergencies
- Show how to move/position individuals, equipment etc. safely
- Apply a range of techniques for infection prevention and control
- Demonstrate how to follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to your HCS practice
Technical Scientific Services
- Provide general non-technical/technical information, advice and guidance to users of HCS services
- Demonstrate how to follow specified HCS protocols and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Protect patient/carers confidentiality when required